Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 8, 2010

Customize | Tumblr

Customize | Tumblr

I tried to add the following to the page I created at Tumblr, however, I keep doing something wrong and it isn't working! :(

I spend so much time online, I am going to finish this up right now by pasting in what really amounts to a blog post anyway.

Time always passes. Here it is another day. I was granted a ONE MONTH EXTENSION by my Ulysses "BC" (Book Coordinator) Gesine. I feel very grateful as I wanted to ask for a month but whimped out and guiltily asked, in exact terms for "two weeks" saying I was certain I could finish both chapters from the "Sirens" segment of "Ulysses" by James Joyce within that time.


However, in the course of my typically ramblin' stylized letter, I did, toward the end "defer" to the better judgment of my "BC" and said what amounted to "Gesine, as the BC, I'd just like it if you give me some time to permit me to complete my part of the project. Obviously, you'll make any decisions, and will do so based on your longstanding experiences at Librivox which led to your assuming a difficult position like that of a "BC" fills. If you feel I must complete this within less time, you will, or if you can offer me even more time, which would be just great, you will do that. In fact, if you do not feel that you can extend my project with me any longer...but must "orphan" it now, (in other words-- take the project from me, or make me give it up as an "orphaned child" which they say at Librivox of chapters that are not "claimed" using just such language ;) then you will do that clearly! I will go by whatever you tell me to do, obviously, as you are da "BC!" What you say ultimately goes :)


And, yay, Gesine has alotted me the month I didn't have the cojones to ask for up-front. Maybe he read between the lines and figured I was actually asking for this, or, as I think actually, he just really figured that a) there's time left to complete this very long-term project and b) I will need the month to complete this.

He wrote that it takes three times as long to do the editing for him than the actual reading. He also wrote that I will get the hang of the editing as time goes on and I gain experience and that I will get so I can read the "waves" (soundwaves) in print as if they were legible themselves, as he is now able to do, in order to know what is happening and scrutinize the recordings and figure out the needed tweaks, and find the bells and whistles that are messed up or in need of placement or changing out.

As with any job, this is really a tall glass of water to drink! There's a lot of "Insider language" or "shop-talk" that must be learned in order to deliver and make good on promises and "end-products."

Also, on the best side, I received word today from my other BC Amy from "The Marble Faun" that ALL of my chapters are "a-okay" enough to go onwards without any corrections being called for. She says things are acceptable after "PL" (or "Proof-Listening") as they stand! I was thrilled! She says that soon the whole thing, as an "audiobook" will be made available through the Librivox catalog of books. I am psyched by this, extremely psyched! I will be able to listen to my own contributions through my "Audiobooks for Free" link that Librivox offers as an application to IPod Touch and Iphone consumers. Alternately, persons that want an audiobook from Librivox can listen to "The Marble Faun" for free on any computer with speakers (internal and/or external) which is pretty much everyone's set up and has been for a very long time. People can hear all of my chapter together and fast forward or book mark the chapters as well, I believe, even on laptop or desktop through the Librivox formatting. Yay! "The Marble Faun" will soon be offered in the Librivox catalog as a complete audiobook.


I could not be more pleased, nor more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment